Everyday People
We're going back. waaayyyy back. Back to when Lubu was a cub, back when songs like "Everyday People" and "Troglodyte" were still being played on the radio. Now, apparently Linda Hirschman would like to return to those halcyon days of feminism, when women like herself fancied themselves the leaders and originators of feminist movement, and shame on those lesbians (the lavender menace!), women of color (womanism?! but your back makes such a nice bridge!) and/or working-class women (you people sure can cook!) who couldn't just put up, shut up, and wait their turn as Elizabeth Cady Stanton wasn't willing to do when it came to seeing black men gain the legal right to suffrage ahead of her. (head nod to Jill at feministe for that odious swill of Hirschman's.)
So. This isn't new. Geological faults, indeed.
See, once upon a time, there was an essay that critiqued the Movement (meaning: the Left as practiced in the United States and other English-speaking nations in the sixties) called The Grand Coolie Damn. And damn if some of us can't write our own essays with Feminism taking the place of the Movement (come to think of it, that's part of the problem right there---too much "movement" has moved out of feminism).
I have figured out why mainstream feminist groups do not represent feminism for me. The mainstream groups are not focused on the front-burner issues of everyday life.
In everyday life, I have to have a job. I need rights on that job, rights that will actually be recognized by an employer, not just placed on some paper in a theoretical way as some kind of 'suggestions' that everyone nudge-nudge, wink-wink knows aren't going to be recognized. Not to mention that everyone knows most women can't afford to hire a lawyer to pursue it.
In everyday life, I have to eat. Cook dinner, buy food, pack lunches, that sort of thing. Have any of the bigtime mainstream feminists like Hirschman been to the grocery store lately?! Haven't they noticed that the price of food has skyrocketed, but paychecks have stayed the same (if you're still getting one, that is)?
In everyday life, I need to get to work. In my area (and with what I do---I'm not at the same place all the time), that means the price of gas is having an impact. Why haven't mainstream feminist groups mentioned the price of gas and lack of alternatives for many of us?! Don't they realize not everyone lives where there's a subway or an el train to get to work? And that the average working woman can't afford the gentrified neighborhoods close to places of employment? (you know, you'd think infrastructure could be a no-brainer issue for the feminist movement---lots of jobs for women, better housing, etc.)
In everyday life, I need a roof over my head. Out here in Illinois, working people live counties away from their work, not to live in some fashionable "exurb", but because they can't afford a $1500 house payment/rent check but can afford the $300 to live in a small town. Also, I have a real hard time getting all worked up about urban sprawl, because that urban sprawl is what makes it possible for me to live in the city. If the alternative for yuppies is buying up houses like mine, running a bulldozer over them to build a fancy new townhouse, and pricing the rest of us out of our own neighborhoods---fuck that. Why aren't mainstream feminists talking about the impact of gentrification on women? Why aren't mainstream feminist groups all about affordable housing?
In everyday life, I send my daughter to school. Public school. Remember public schools? The ones most of us who have children send our kids to? The ones most of us attended? Well, I attended public schools throughout my life and I'm a strong supporter of the public schools. I want to know why mainstream feminist groups aren't putting the disparity of resources available to public schools on the front burner. Why do the wealthy areas of town have nice facilities, and the school my daughter attends is a fixer-upper that never seems to get fixed? Why do they have new books? (She's attending summer school across town now to help her reading. She's noticed the difference). Why should the surrounding suburbs have elementary schools with librarians and libraries, while this district goes without? Why should the quality of my daughter's education, the opportunities for learning available to her, depend solely on the kind of mortgage or rent I can afford to pay? Where the fuck is feminism on all this?
Come to think of it, where is feminism on (drum roll please) the commons. The commons. Stuff like libraries, public parks and recreation, the streets, gathering places, that sort of thing. Young people in my neighborhood get hassled for hanging out. They can't go hang out anywhere where they don't have money---kids that aren't buying anything get told to move on. The park district has dismantled basketball courts in public parks, and schoolyards are locked up after school hours with "no trespassing" signs. Hell, even the local movie theater monopoly has a "no teenagers after 9PM without parent" policy. What the fuck, chuck? Don't mainstream feminists have teenagers?
And frankly, I'd like to know on what planet child care is a "middle-class issue". Lack of child care is a front-burner issue for working-class and poor women. It's the difference between whether or not we have or can keep a job (or get an education so we can get a job).
In everyday life, some people go to prison and have a permanent record while others go to Betty Ford and have no felony to keep them from employment. In everyday life, disabled women have a hard time getting a job. In everyday life, women are getting the double-crunch of caring for ill parents and young children at the same time, or triple crunch of being the main financial support as well. In everyday life, women are being separated from their children because their papers aren't in order. In everyday life, women are burying children killed by gang violence, asthma attacks, this fucking illegal war started by this piece-of-shit pResident, and other easily preventable causes that mainstream feminism gives lip service to. In everyday life, women whose only crime is not being able to afford to keep the electricity on in their homes are having their children taken from them and put into foster care. In everyday life, not every woman experiencing domestic violence is going to be helped by the police. In everyday life, people drive by women being beaten on the street, because "oh, that's probably her pimp" or "oh, it's none of my business" or "it's her fault for staying with him." In everyday life, working women worry about how the hell they're going to make it when they are too old or sick to work. In everyday life, women have their healthcare disappear when they lose their jobs; their pensions (if they are among the select few who have such a thing anymore) evaporate when their pension fund goes bankrupt. In everyday life, women get sick because of environmental racism and classism----the lack of money to move and thus insulate themselves from toxins directly related to that proverbial 77 cents on the dollar. Directly related to the last-hired, first-fired experience.
Everyday life. Everyday people.
I want a feminist movement that centers the same issues I see highlighted on Ask A Working Woman or Moms Rising, both of which for some unknown reason are never mentioned as feminist. I want a feminist movement that realizes that what ails the body politic tends to give women pnemonia. I want a feminist movement that fights for all women, not just those who can most neatly wedge our lives into the current male template. I want a feminist movement that recognizes the everyday sheroics of unsung, unacknowledged, unphotographed and unphotoshopped women. I want a feminist movement ready to STRIKE in support of Lilly Ledbetter. I want a feminist movement that believes in the eight-hour day, so women can enjoy the rest of our lives, too. I want a feminism that recognizes that sometimes the work day isn't nine-to-five, or behind a desk. I want a feminism that isn't afraid of counting sisters like this one amongst the rank and file.
Like Little Stevie Van Zandt sang awhile back on his album Voice of America: "I want Justice!"
But what do I get? I get Linda Hirschman tryin' to tell me that white middle-class women started feminism, neatly excising the herstory of the foremothers of organized labor, who were striking decades before Seneca Falls.
It's no accident that the most dynamic forward motion in what used to be called women's liberation isn't coming from within the nominal 'feminist movement', but from without in the labor movement, in anti-racist movement, and other social justice movements. And why? Because of the very thing that Linda Hirschman thinks is sending feminism to hell in a handbasket---intersectionality. A word that I didn't even know existed until a few years ago, but a name I've been searching for throughout my life---a name to attach to a concept on why the hell reality isn't fitting the mainstream just-so analysis.
Brownfemipower has a post on movement making that provides an answer for Hirschman and her allies on why feminism seems to have lost its focus. Feminism---the nominal, mainstream variety---isn't focusing on those who need it the most. Those who are thirsty for it, if they only knew those waters weren't just at the whites-only fountain, or the rich-only fountain, or pick your poisoned well.
Meanwhile, I'm still finding my feminism (and allies) where I've always found it---down at the union hall, at the trades' council, out on the front porches of my neighborhood. With the Everyday People. And when the nominal feminist movement decides to get back to the block, we'll still be here. Still loving, still fighting.
Pace
So. This isn't new. Geological faults, indeed.
See, once upon a time, there was an essay that critiqued the Movement (meaning: the Left as practiced in the United States and other English-speaking nations in the sixties) called The Grand Coolie Damn. And damn if some of us can't write our own essays with Feminism taking the place of the Movement (come to think of it, that's part of the problem right there---too much "movement" has moved out of feminism).
I have figured out why mainstream feminist groups do not represent feminism for me. The mainstream groups are not focused on the front-burner issues of everyday life.
In everyday life, I have to have a job. I need rights on that job, rights that will actually be recognized by an employer, not just placed on some paper in a theoretical way as some kind of 'suggestions' that everyone nudge-nudge, wink-wink knows aren't going to be recognized. Not to mention that everyone knows most women can't afford to hire a lawyer to pursue it.
In everyday life, I have to eat. Cook dinner, buy food, pack lunches, that sort of thing. Have any of the bigtime mainstream feminists like Hirschman been to the grocery store lately?! Haven't they noticed that the price of food has skyrocketed, but paychecks have stayed the same (if you're still getting one, that is)?
In everyday life, I need to get to work. In my area (and with what I do---I'm not at the same place all the time), that means the price of gas is having an impact. Why haven't mainstream feminist groups mentioned the price of gas and lack of alternatives for many of us?! Don't they realize not everyone lives where there's a subway or an el train to get to work? And that the average working woman can't afford the gentrified neighborhoods close to places of employment? (you know, you'd think infrastructure could be a no-brainer issue for the feminist movement---lots of jobs for women, better housing, etc.)
In everyday life, I need a roof over my head. Out here in Illinois, working people live counties away from their work, not to live in some fashionable "exurb", but because they can't afford a $1500 house payment/rent check but can afford the $300 to live in a small town. Also, I have a real hard time getting all worked up about urban sprawl, because that urban sprawl is what makes it possible for me to live in the city. If the alternative for yuppies is buying up houses like mine, running a bulldozer over them to build a fancy new townhouse, and pricing the rest of us out of our own neighborhoods---fuck that. Why aren't mainstream feminists talking about the impact of gentrification on women? Why aren't mainstream feminist groups all about affordable housing?
In everyday life, I send my daughter to school. Public school. Remember public schools? The ones most of us who have children send our kids to? The ones most of us attended? Well, I attended public schools throughout my life and I'm a strong supporter of the public schools. I want to know why mainstream feminist groups aren't putting the disparity of resources available to public schools on the front burner. Why do the wealthy areas of town have nice facilities, and the school my daughter attends is a fixer-upper that never seems to get fixed? Why do they have new books? (She's attending summer school across town now to help her reading. She's noticed the difference). Why should the surrounding suburbs have elementary schools with librarians and libraries, while this district goes without? Why should the quality of my daughter's education, the opportunities for learning available to her, depend solely on the kind of mortgage or rent I can afford to pay? Where the fuck is feminism on all this?
Come to think of it, where is feminism on (drum roll please) the commons. The commons. Stuff like libraries, public parks and recreation, the streets, gathering places, that sort of thing. Young people in my neighborhood get hassled for hanging out. They can't go hang out anywhere where they don't have money---kids that aren't buying anything get told to move on. The park district has dismantled basketball courts in public parks, and schoolyards are locked up after school hours with "no trespassing" signs. Hell, even the local movie theater monopoly has a "no teenagers after 9PM without parent" policy. What the fuck, chuck? Don't mainstream feminists have teenagers?
And frankly, I'd like to know on what planet child care is a "middle-class issue". Lack of child care is a front-burner issue for working-class and poor women. It's the difference between whether or not we have or can keep a job (or get an education so we can get a job).
In everyday life, some people go to prison and have a permanent record while others go to Betty Ford and have no felony to keep them from employment. In everyday life, disabled women have a hard time getting a job. In everyday life, women are getting the double-crunch of caring for ill parents and young children at the same time, or triple crunch of being the main financial support as well. In everyday life, women are being separated from their children because their papers aren't in order. In everyday life, women are burying children killed by gang violence, asthma attacks, this fucking illegal war started by this piece-of-shit pResident, and other easily preventable causes that mainstream feminism gives lip service to. In everyday life, women whose only crime is not being able to afford to keep the electricity on in their homes are having their children taken from them and put into foster care. In everyday life, not every woman experiencing domestic violence is going to be helped by the police. In everyday life, people drive by women being beaten on the street, because "oh, that's probably her pimp" or "oh, it's none of my business" or "it's her fault for staying with him." In everyday life, working women worry about how the hell they're going to make it when they are too old or sick to work. In everyday life, women have their healthcare disappear when they lose their jobs; their pensions (if they are among the select few who have such a thing anymore) evaporate when their pension fund goes bankrupt. In everyday life, women get sick because of environmental racism and classism----the lack of money to move and thus insulate themselves from toxins directly related to that proverbial 77 cents on the dollar. Directly related to the last-hired, first-fired experience.
Everyday life. Everyday people.
I want a feminist movement that centers the same issues I see highlighted on Ask A Working Woman or Moms Rising, both of which for some unknown reason are never mentioned as feminist. I want a feminist movement that realizes that what ails the body politic tends to give women pnemonia. I want a feminist movement that fights for all women, not just those who can most neatly wedge our lives into the current male template. I want a feminist movement that recognizes the everyday sheroics of unsung, unacknowledged, unphotographed and unphotoshopped women. I want a feminist movement ready to STRIKE in support of Lilly Ledbetter. I want a feminist movement that believes in the eight-hour day, so women can enjoy the rest of our lives, too. I want a feminism that recognizes that sometimes the work day isn't nine-to-five, or behind a desk. I want a feminism that isn't afraid of counting sisters like this one amongst the rank and file.
Like Little Stevie Van Zandt sang awhile back on his album Voice of America: "I want Justice!"
But what do I get? I get Linda Hirschman tryin' to tell me that white middle-class women started feminism, neatly excising the herstory of the foremothers of organized labor, who were striking decades before Seneca Falls.
It's no accident that the most dynamic forward motion in what used to be called women's liberation isn't coming from within the nominal 'feminist movement', but from without in the labor movement, in anti-racist movement, and other social justice movements. And why? Because of the very thing that Linda Hirschman thinks is sending feminism to hell in a handbasket---intersectionality. A word that I didn't even know existed until a few years ago, but a name I've been searching for throughout my life---a name to attach to a concept on why the hell reality isn't fitting the mainstream just-so analysis.
Brownfemipower has a post on movement making that provides an answer for Hirschman and her allies on why feminism seems to have lost its focus. Feminism---the nominal, mainstream variety---isn't focusing on those who need it the most. Those who are thirsty for it, if they only knew those waters weren't just at the whites-only fountain, or the rich-only fountain, or pick your poisoned well.
Meanwhile, I'm still finding my feminism (and allies) where I've always found it---down at the union hall, at the trades' council, out on the front porches of my neighborhood. With the Everyday People. And when the nominal feminist movement decides to get back to the block, we'll still be here. Still loving, still fighting.
Pace

12comments:
Good grief.
This reminds me of a story a woman I was once on a course with told me. She said she got herself expelled from her local feminist group. Her crime? Having to spend time with her children.
La Lubu – interesting post. I understand your frustration.
Cards on the table – I like Linda, and a lot of what she says. I agree that the WaPo article can be interpreted as blaming intersectionality for lack of focus in feminism. From other things I’ve read of Hirshman’s, I believe her frustration is with feminism becoming liberalism (similar to: http://octogalore.blogspot.com/2008/04/more-on-what-makes-feminist-issue.html) and losing the focus on women, rather than any issue with emphasis on all women, all races and classes.
But yeah, I know there’s a reason you’re concerned. The section saying that intersectional approaches were one step and then going to a place where there is no intersection with gender, but another movement entirely, another step – didn’t clarify what I think she’d say if you asked her – that step one is essential and important and step two dilutive.
And that gets to why I’m in loud agreement with much of what you say below and a bit puzzled by other parts.
For one thing – rights on the job that are applicable to women, and legal strategies that are accessible to poor women – are critical parts of any feminism. As is childcare. And I agree with you, it’s an issue for all women, not a “middle class” issue. And childcare for ALL women, especially those for whom it makes the difference in, as you say, “whether or not we have or can keep a job (or get an education so we can get a job),” needs to be on all feminists’ front burner.
Rights of female prisoners; access and opportunity for disabled women; additional care burdens for children and parents that fall on women – also critical feminist issues.
On the other hand, I’m not sure how grocery prices, gas prices, transportation options, etc. are feminist issues per se. These are not really gendered issues, but issues regarding poverty generally that I’m not sure feminism in itself should or could have a solution to.
Now, if you want to hone in a bit and argue that single moms have particular financial issues and that female commuters have particular safety issues, then that provides more of a framework for a feminist analysis. Is there a way to target grocery benefits to single moms? Can employers be lobbied to institute safe transportation alternatives for female workers? Etc. But I don’t think getting really broad into just “the economy” and “the income gap” and tossing it all on feminism’s doorstep is a solution.
Similarly with the quality of public education. That’s a critical issue. But not really a gendered one, I don’t think. While I think all feminists should CARE about it, I’m not sure feminism is the right banner to act under. Maybe feminists should ally with anti-racists, environmentalists, and other groups to act on these issues. But feminism cannot become the umbrella for non-gendered miscellaneous injustices and still retain any kind of useful focus.
So yeah, I definitely think there’s a problem with narrowing of feminism to white-centric middle/upper class concerns. Intersectionality isn’t a footnote or a separate chapter, it needs to be a consistent part of EVERY aspect of feminism.
But, IMO, so does gender.
This post just rocks on so many levels!
Why haven't mainstream feminist groups mentioned the price of gas and lack of alternatives for many of us?! Don't they realize not everyone lives where there's a subway or an el train to get to work? And that the average working woman can't afford the gentrified neighborhoods close to places of employment? (you know, you'd think infrastructure could be a no-brainer issue for the feminist movement---lots of jobs for women, better housing, etc.)
I am really, really tired of women like Hirschman NOT GETTING IT. All of these things are "feminist issues"--but if a uterus, vagina or boob isn't directly involved, then they think it must not be a bona fide feminist issue!
Thanks again for the righteousness.
grazie, Octo and Daisy.
This post was written on the spur of the moment, while I was feeling anger, frustration, and the perennial not...fucking...again that I get from reading anything of Hirshman's. I almost think her stuff should come with a warning sign: "not applicable to most of you. Pay no attention if you aren't among the astronomically privileged." It was a visceral reaction---I was/am venting.
This post was mostly a vehicle for referencing "The Grand Coolie Damn", because throughout my life I've seen so many parallels to the way in which upper-eschalon feminists (Hirshman-approved feminists, you might say) treat those of us whom they regard as lower-eschalon (or even not consider us as feminists), with the way so many male "radicals" treated (and still do---the essay hasn't lost any of its fire) women in the left. When we aren't being patronized, we're being ignored. And I'm damn sick and tired of it.
I'm biased against Hirshman, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Right off the get-go, I'm wondering why she's expending so much energy on the what---2%?---of "opt-out" women, and overlooking the 98% of us that don't have the more-money-than-God one needs to "opt-out". I'm wondering why an intelligent, well-educated woman such as herself would fall for the opt-out myth.
I also have a problem with the assumption that if more women get into power positions, that those women will reach down and help other women. In my observation, such is the exception, not the rule---especially among white women.
(and here's where I should put up another post about cross-class communication, and how men have had organizations that do and encourage just that, while women do not have cross-class institutions. Women seldom communicate cross-class in a venue that either features or fosters equality. We don't have the counterpart to the Masonic Lodge, the Elks, the Eagles, the country-clubs, the hunting lodges, etc. That's a weaknesses in feminist movement, IMO.)
I have a problem with mainstream feminism's insistence upon individualized solutions. I think that is the biggest weakness in the movement. It's almost like Hirshman is advocating a gender-based "talented tenth". It isn't working, because women experience sexism---not just the impact of sexism, but the day-to-day experience of sexism on its various levels---differently according to our other identities. "Women" is a (ahem) broad category. We're probably better off focusing on coalitions of feminism.
But back to the individualism. See, I can sympathize somewhat, 'cuz I'm somewhat of a loner with a small circle of friends. I love working solo, and I'm damn good at what I do. However, I don't get the kind of pay and benefits I do because I'm a good worker bee. I get them because I'm a union member. Without the backing of a labor union, I'd be getting the same low pay and no benefits that the nonunion electricians are getting! (That is, if I could get hired, because it is very rare for a nonunion construction firm to hire a woman to be anything other than a secretary).
Feminism made the most gains by putting pressure on the legislature. Same with the labor movement. Mass movement and mobilization will get all of us more gains than just sprucing ourselves up and grabbing the brass ring on an individual basis.
Which brings up something else---the overemphasis of a traditional college education at the expense of other means to a living. Not all of us have the same skillsets. I'm glad I found my niche---but I wouldn't have had the same success if I had followed the four-year-and-maybe-graduate-school route. Some people are cut out for "Limbo" (Alfred Lubrano's book on entering the middle class---I highly recommend it!); I'm not one of them. That shouldn't be a barrier---I shouldn't have to be a CEO (or close to it) to have parity.
Why do I mention high prices and declining buying power as feminist issues, rather than merely class-based issues? Because of my labor background---labor law recognizes that discrimination can come in the form of disparate impact, and so do I. That's why I copped the phrase so often used to compare the disparate impact of race ("when the white community catches a cold, the black community gets pneumonia").
Women are:
*paid less than men
*last hired, first fired
*fewer promotions, even in majority-female fields like nursing (and that's despite following Hirshman's advice by getting an education and getting and keeping a middle-or-higher-income job)
*children negatively impact our ability to get (or keep) a job or get a promotion---the opposite is true for men
*more likely to be a single-parent
Now, when it comes to the public schools, I see that as a feminist issue on various counts. The majority of teachers are women, so I can't help but think that the hostility directed toward teachers is because mere women don't deserve higher pay, decent working conditions, and actual status. White and/or middle-class flight from the public schools (or to exclusive suburban schools that most parents don't have the price of admission for, namely, the ability to buy a real effing expensive house) means it's mostly women that get to deal with the fallout from what a depleted tax base does to the schools (thus, our children). Yeah, feminists might not be paying enough attention to this, but the anti-feminists sure the hell are---and are making inroads with women who are looking for a way out. Vouchers come with a heaping helping of get-back-in-the-kitchen and rattle those pots and pans. The devil you know, or the devil you don't? I'm anti-voucher, myself---but in the absence of a feminist education policy, can you blame women for supporting them? Why isn't there loud, feminist objections to sex-segregated schooling and the patent bullshit that is essentialist education? It's making a huge comeback. I need to hear more than crickets chirping.
Hey, tellya what. I'll let someone else speak now! I cede the floor. One of the books I want to read this summer is "Nixonland"---from some of the reviews I've read, I think it will have a lot to say on how the image and messages of feminism got distorted (again, just like the labor movement).
C'mon folks, don't be shy.
And glad to see you here too, very public sociologist!
La Lubu – good point about cross-class communication and organizations. Agree, a weakness in the feminist movement.
I think we see the benefits of women getting into power positions, and individualized solutions, somewhat differently (see http://octogalore.blogspot.com/2008/05/superwoman.html). I agree that “Mass movement and mobilization will get all of us more gains than just sprucing ourselves up and grabbing the brass ring on an individual basis.” On the other hand, I think the latter is an fair goal for women as well as men, that should not be denied us and not encouraged for us. In addition to, not instead of, group efforts.
I understand the issue of disparate impact, but the feminist issues lie with the disparate pay, hiring, promotion, pregnancy/childcare discrimination issues underlying this. Not the resulting gas or food prices. Dealing with the latter will not get at the root issues, and doesn’t involve a feminist solution. Dealing with the root issues DOES involve a feminist solution. I think feminists are immensely powerful but let’s be real, even Ideal Inclusive Feminism isn’t going to float an agenda listing “gas prices.” The agenda should include equal pay, equal opportunities for promotion, adequate support for pregnancy and childcare. Etc.
RE public schools. Many teachers are women, but a substantial number men too. I have two male family members who are public elementary school teachers. I am not sure in what way vouchers are antifeminist – can you clarify?
“it's mostly women that get to deal with the fallout from what a depleted tax base does to the schools”
Do you mean there are more single moms than vice versa? Also, re depleted tax base –are taxes the issue, or excess spending, eg war spending? I mean, let’s face it, right now the top 5% in terms of income – NOT wealth -- are paying close to 60% of all the taxes, while making 30% of the total income. The top 5% earners are NOT the 5% most wealthy, some are people with modest savings or even a negative net worth (and that’s not hypothetical). The top 1 percent of tax returns paid about the same amount of federal individual income taxes as the bottom 95 percent of tax returns. So while it’s popular, and this is not a sympathetic group, to have them pay more, is this really fair?
I totally agree with the idea of cross-class groups dealing with front-burner feminist issues. Have you thought about how this might be organized? Hunting or sports doesn’t seem that workable. Maybe along industries or geographical location or topic area (working women, or public education, etc)?
In addition to, not instead of, group efforts.
Just as I suspected, we are in agreement there. I just see mainstream feminism as seeing certain battles as already won, not ongoing efforts. There are still sex-segregated workplaces and levels of authority in the workplace that isn't going to change without critical mass. Otherwise, we get more of the same exceptionalism ("but you're different; you're not like those other women") that is used to divide and conquer.
I should probably also mention that in many fields, individual efforts are only going to get a person so far---regardless of gender. I assume a clear difference between how my field and yours operate in terms of how many people it takes to get the job done. One electrician isn't going to wire a hospital by herself, no matter how damn good she is; one attorney can clean up in court. Just sayin'. The higher-eschalon jobs tend towards solo efforts, which fits with the mainstream U.S. culture's emphasis on indiviualism. Jobs like mine are heavily reliant on teamwork, not just during contract negotiations, but as a metter of course. That clashes with the larger individualism. At the same time, my skillsets are what they are, and I meant what I said about how we shouldn't have to be CEOs just to have a decent standard of living or a modicum of job security or conditions. Right now, I see the labor movement as being more likely to get me what I need on a daily basis---not feminist movement. I feel like I'm having better luck inserting feminist consciousness and outlooks into the labor movement, than I could ever have inserting labor consciousness and outlooks into the mainstream feminist movement.
And yes, I do think a part of that failure is an inability to communicate cross-class. In fact, the only time I do any cross-class communication is with "Limbo" people like yourself. I can make myself understood only because the people I'm talking with can self-translate (having been there).
It's not like I expect feminism to insert gas and grocery prices on the mainframe agenda. Those wouldn't be issues if root causes of national/international economic policies were handled in a way to benefit the whole of humanity (I want a pony, too). But if there's one thing being in the labor movement makes one realize, it's that Communication is Everything.
I've been enjoying the AFL-CIO "Ask a Working Woman" surveys for years, because they succeed in doing some essential communicating: first, by speaking to and in the language of average working women, providing a vehicle to communicate concerns, and linking that to an operational political movement (via the AFL-CIO or Working Families) that are fighting for those concerns. Mainstream feminism concentrates outreach on large college campuses---but where else? That's part of why the "elitist" tag sticks, because of the general lack of visibility.
I mean hell, that might be a shallow concern, but the entire advertising industry is built upon it---getting the message out to the audience you want to reach. I don't see what's so shallow about that.
As for the schools, I don't know how schools are funded in California; from your response, I'm thinking maybe through State general funds? Here in Illinois, very little comes through the general fund---the lion's share is based on property taxes. So, if you are fortunate enough to live in an area where the property taxes are higher, you get good schools. If you can't afford that price of admission (high rent or mortgage), you get schools that range from struggling to abysmal. Schools in Naperville resemble college campuses in structure and curriculum, while schools in East St. Louis can't afford working indoor toilets (seriously. when I was working in that area back during the 94-95 school year, students went on strike to get the plumbing fixed. They used port-a-johns for months). Those are the polar opposites in Illinois; what you see in much of the State is medium-size cities with poor school districts, surrounded by smaller "white flight" towns where the school dollars went.
Now, the mainstream feminist movement will tell me that men should be shouldering more of the burden of parenting, that the workplace (meaning employers) should be accommodating that shared burden. And hell yeah! I agree wholeheartedly. But....where does that leave women like me? There is no man to shoulder the burden. Before he died, he was busy killing himself on methamphetamine. I need a solution better than "wish in one hand, shit in the other." I'm not the majority, but I'm a pretty damn sizable (disproportionately female)minority in my neck of the woods (partner who crapped out due to substance abuse and is thus anywhere from merely unreliable to bona-fide dangerous). Translation: we need feet-on-the-ground solutions that don't rely on a partner. Daycare is a biggie too, because it's not just affordability---it being able to access it period. It's not an industry with a high-enough profit margin to attract the private sector. Translation: we need a WPA-style program! I suspect a good portion of the South would still be without electric power without the TVA; and a damn high proportion of women are on the economic skids because we haven't yet implemented collective institutions. Institutions, because the ad-hoc shit we come up with in the meantime doesn't tend to outlive a certain limited timeframe. (meaning, organizers, neighbors, friends, family leave for greener pastures and poof! back to square one. So many successful female-led organizing groups don't last a decade---they have gung-ho, intelligent, creative members, but not the access to insitutional power that would take them from ad-hoc, make-do status to actual institutions. Back to that cross-class thing again. Hull House in Chicago is still around. A similar group in my area (Imani is the one I'm thinking of 'cuz they helped my aunt in a time of need, but there are others) is not---because that gap wasn't bridged. One way to do that is by connecting with the money/power people, or who William "Upski" Wimsatt call "the Cool Rich Kids" in his "No More Prisons" book. Another is by linking to the legislature and state agencies.
Vouchers being sexist....well, you gotta think, who's going to be receiving those vouchers? Around here, mostly churches that strongly emphasize female submission, gender segregation, and essentialist bullshit. The money behind the voucher movement comes from the same people who have issues (subscriptions, even) with other areas of women's liberation. It's fitting that they decide to shuffle $ toward elementary education; it fits with their other political goals.
I'll be thinking more along these lines for a cohesive answer (ust kinda typing-out-loud now). It's the Big Day, union election day! Meeting is in a couple of hours, and the polls are open throughout the late afternoon and evening. I'll be front-and-center to see, talk to, and yes, lobby brothers and sisters for some initiatives I'd like to see happen in this next term. That and, some plain-old shooting-the-shit. Enjoy the day (I am! I took the day off!)
BeJane.com provides the best tools and how-to
information related to the home in the industry while promoting female empowerment in the world. They inspire and show women how to be powerful in the world beginning with their home base. This clip pretty much says it all... http://www.bejane.com/node/2857
Hmmm...not sure what your blogging status is!
Just wanted to let you know I'm blogging at The Redstar Perspective again, though at a new URL:
http://grahamad.wordpress.com/
Take care,
Redstar
Hey, this is in reference to a comment you made about your thyroid on someone else's blog about acupuncture. Just to let you know -- after years on synthroid and feeling awful, I convinced a PA to change it to Armour thyroid, which is dessicated pig thyroid and has both thyroid hormones in it. Immediately felt better in all respects, in fact now I'm working again and going back to school. The claim is that Armour Thyroid can't be as standardized as Synthroid, but it was used for decades to good effect. Just thought I'd pass that on.
wow - this is an amazing post! your whole blog is so rich and full of thought.
did you make it to the AMC? I went for the first time this year and got more of an understanding and increased respect for bloggers - esp. single mother of color bloggers. so much is going on here! I have to say I felt before the "blogosphere" as overwhelming, too wide and big to understand, to much going on, and maybe a younger phenomomon that what I am. I like to read in print.
but wow. just really wow. super impressed. the way you write and interesting subjects, i'm interested! thank you,
a little zine turtle walking across the byways and waterways and back allies of connected blogs of friends and their friends,
china
p.s.
we have a blog, just a rudimentary blog to start. I am not good at blogging and dont' understand why my profile can't be accessed or remember or password nor have a gmail account. and I am just tired!
so I am cutting and pasting my link here:
http://dontleaveyourfriendsbehind.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment
<<Home